Fifteen new COVID-19 cases were reported in Dare County yesterday—a single-day case total that matches the second highest case total previously reported by the county.
The 15 people range in age from “17 and under” to “65 or older,” according to the Dare County Department of Health and Human Services dashboard, and bring the total number of cases diagnosed locally to 292.
The number of COVID-19 cases in Dare County has exactly doubled since July 6, when it was 146.
The only other time Dare County has reported 15 cases in one day was July 9, when the overall case total was 171. The single-day record case total occurred on July 1, when 16 new cases were reported: The total number of cases then was 113.
Dr. Sheila Davies, director of the DCDHHS, attributed these previous single-day jumps in positive COVID-19 test results to direct contact among people in large gatherings.
In her update Tuesday on the 31 new COVID-19 cases diagnosed since last Friday, Dr. Davies said that 23 of the new cases acquired the virus by direct contact, including “close friends,” “close contacts,” and family members. Only eight—about 25 percent of them—were presumed to have acquired it by community spread.
“The majority of cases,” Dr. Davies reported, “continue to experience mild to moderate symptoms, however, there are cases [that] have experienced severe illness. Currently, two residents remain hospitalized in critical condition.”
The Beacon had planned to start reporting only on a weekly basis about new COVID-19 cases, but yesterday’s spike is compelling. Twelve new cases were reported on Tuesday, but only five cases were reported on each of the previous two days.
The spike involved eight Dare County residents and seven nonresidents, whose ages are as follows:
*Seven are 17 and under (for an overall total of 44; about 15 percent)
*Four are between ages 18 and 24 (for a total of 75; about 26 percent)
*Three are between ages 25 and 49 (for a total of 98; about 33 percent)
*Three are between ages 50 and 64 (for a total of 45; about 15 percent)
*Two are age 65 or older. (for a total of 30; about 10 percent)
The current breakdown between men and women is about 50-50, with 147 males and 145 females having tested positive locally for the disease caused by the new coronavirus.
All 15 new cases are reported to be in home isolation. Three of the nonresidents are isolating in Dare County, while the other four have transferred to their home counties.
Appointments remain for next Tuesday’s COVID-19 antibody and diagnostic testing clinic at the Dare County Center, 950 Marshall Collins Drive, in Manteo. The event will start at 1 p.m. You may register for either or both test by calling (252) 475-5008, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
TUESDAY’S TOWN COUNCIL MEETING: We regret that we have not been able yet to give you a report on Tuesday morning’s Town Council session. Such is the lot of an unpaid blogger that life intervenes to prevent us from writing. Also, the audio on the Zoom teleconference was awful, making it very difficult for us to hear what was being said by everyone and necessitating our review of the You Tube videotape, which we have not had time to do yet.
We hope some of you will look at the videotape. The Town Council is virtually meeting in secret these days. The Zoom audience Tuesday varied between four and six participants, and only one homeowner attended the meeting in person.
We plan to have a post up by Sunday, at the latest.
The quick-take resolution that The Beacon previewed on Monday (7/20/20) passed unanimously, after considerable discussion between the always-well-prepared, thoughtful, and smart Town Councilman Matt Neal and Town Attorney Ben Gallop. (Thank you, Mr. Neal. You are an oasis.)
Work is under way by Town Manager Cliff Ogburn and Mr. Gallop to prepare a template for an easement that oceanfront property owners will be asked to grant voluntarily. Mr. Ogburn also plans to prepare a set of frequently asked questions to give to property owners about the temporary easements and quick take.
The Town Council expressed an interest in making every effort to acquire the easements needed for the 2022 beach nourishment project voluntarily from property owners, not through the court quick-take condemnation process.
In point of fact, however, until the General Assembly changes the N.C. quick-take statutes to authorize Southern Shores to use this form of eminent domain for beach nourishment, it will not be available to the town.
DON’T FORGET: THIS WEEKEND IS A NO-LEFT-TURN WEEKEND.
The left turn from U.S. Hwy 158 east on to South Dogwood Trail will be prohibited from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. this Saturday and Sunday.
Southern Shores police will be on the scene to ensure zero tolerance.
The Beacon will be seeking residents’ comments about the traffic in their stretch of Southern Shores on both days.
Ann G. Sjoerdsma, 7/23/20