“Local-traffic-only” barriers with signage are in place already today at the entrances to four residential roads off of East Dogwood Trail that are part of Southern Shores’ notorious weekend cut-thru traffic route.
The barriers will block northbound through traffic tonight and this weekend at East Dogwood Trail’s intersections with Hickory Trail, Hillcrest Drive, Sea Oats Trail, and Wax Myrtle Trail.
The road closures are part of a “Plan B” that the Southern Shores Town Council authorized Town Manager Cliff Ogburn earlier this month to invoke in conjunction with a weekend left-turn ban at the intersection of U.S. Hwy. 158 and South Dogwood Trail.
Unlike last weekend’s left-turn ban, which proved especially unsuccessful on Saturday, Mr. Ogburn told “The Outer Banks Voice” this week that the June 19-20 ban will be enforced by the Southern Shores Police Dept.
He also said that the left-turn signal off of U.S. 158, which is controlled by the N.C. Dept. of Transportation, will be red at all times. Last weekend the light went through its green-yellow-red rotation, appearing to be operational.
We have driven legally by a local-traffic-only barrier three times this afternoon. The first time, we were the only travelers on the road. The second time, another vehicle with a North Carolina—but not an OBX—license plate passed through in front of us, and an SUV with New Jersey plates that was jammed with beach vacationer equipment passed through behind us.
The third time we observed the driver of a pick-up truck with Virginia plates in front of us hesitate and then drive straight on East Dogwood Trail, instead of turning left on to Hickory Trail at the local-traffic-only barrier.
The left-turn ban at U.S. 158 and South Dogwood Trail will be in effect Saturday from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. and Sunday from noon until 6 p.m., according to the Town of Southern Shores newsletter, which was published online today.
Please post your comments about the effectiveness of Plan B tomorrow and Sunday below today’s Beacon blog and Facebook posts. Thank you.
Have a good weekend.
THE BEACON, 6/18/21
2 thoughts on “6/18/21: PLAN B: TOWN POSTS LOCAL-TRAFFIC-ONLY BARRIERS, SIGNAGE AT KEY ROADS IN CUT-THRU TRAFFIC ROUTE.”
This is a welcome step in the right direction. If WAZE or Google Maps reports police enforcement stops of offending vehicles, this may prove to be an effective method. I plan to spend an hour at the S Dogwood/Hickory intersection during peak traffic on NC12 to count out of state vehicles turning left on to Hickory and the number of vehicles that proceed east. I expect to be out there between 1:30 and 2:30 unless traffic has not developed then.
May be the Mayor could step outside his abode and do something similar as he lives almost on the corner of one of the other blocked roads and S Dogwood.