Dare and Currituck counties will work together to coordinate a date for reentry of visitors, according to a news announcement released yesterday afternoon by Dare County.
Currituck County will remove its tentative May 15 visitor entry date from its emergency order and move forward with Dare County on a coordinated plan, the release said.
OBX Today reported yesterday that unidentified Dare County officials said they were “caught off guard” when the Currituck County Board of Commissioners announced it was considering allowing visitors to enter Corolla and Carova as early as May 15.
Currituck lifted the access restriction on its non-resident property owners last week.
Dare County has extended its Stay Home-Stay Healthy order until May 22, a date that it could modify, rescind, or extend. Dare plans to permit non-resident property owners access to the county starting May 4 and has made no announcements about visitor entry.
Dare County has set up a staggered entry over a five-day period of non-resident property owners according to the first letter of their last names.
Each county’s board of commissioners chairperson and manager have met to “begin discussions” about visitor entry, according to the news release.
Officials from both counties will meet again after Governor Roy Cooper takes action on the statewide Stay-at-Home order, which expires at 5 p.m. on May 8, “to establish a timeline for visitor entry to the Currituck and Dare Outer Banks,” the release said.
When the date is determined, a decision will be announced jointly by the two counties.
See release at https://www.darenc.com/Home/Components/News/News/6202/17
IN OTHER LOCAL COVID-19-RELATED NEWS . . . Hyde County has retracted its report of a confirmed COVID-19 case, saying that it was a hospital data error. This is the second time that Hyde has retracted a case report. It remains one of a handful of counties in North Carolina that has not received a positive COVID-19 test result.
Ann G. Sjoerdsma, 4/28/20