The Town of Southern Shores’ bulk trash pickup date this spring is Friday, April 16. All bulk-waste items that the Town has approved for collection must be placed in the street right-of-way by 5 a.m. that day. The Town requests that you not place any items by the roadside earlier than the previous Friday, April 9.
Among the approved bulk-waste items that can be placed on the roadside are the following, according to a release by the Town:
- Furniture, including sofas, chairs, dressers, mattresses, etc.
- Exercise equipment
- Hot tub covers (but no hot tubs)
- Appliances (refrigerators, freezers, and any other appliances that may contain refrigerant must have a tag on them stating that the Freon has been removed. Refrigerator/freezers doors should be removed, as well.)
- Yard waste and vegetative debris (the debris must be bagged in clear or brown paper bags)
Among the bulk-waste items that will NOT be collected are:
- Televisions (TVs may be taken at no charge to the Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Center or to the Dare County landfill)
- Hot tubs, water heaters (these items also may be taken at no charge to the Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Center and the landfill)
- Hazardous materials, such as paints, solvents, chemicals
- Building materials, including lumber, roofing, doors, screens, windows, stairs, carpet, cabinets, toilets and demolition debris, etc. (these items may be taken with a $50 permit to the Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Center or to the Dare County landfill at no charge)
- Soil, rocks, concrete, and stumps (these items may be taken at no charge to the Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Center or to the landfill)
- Tires and any item containing gasoline (they may be taken at no charge to the Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Center, a maximum of four at a time)
For more information about acceptable items for the Town’s bulk-waste pickup, as well as details about the collection itself, see:
All items will be picked up by the contractor in one day.
The Town conducts two large-item collections each year, one in the spring, usually in April, and the other in the fall, usually in October.
For more information about the Kitty Hawk/Dare County Recycling Center, see:
The recycling center is located at 4190 Bob Perry Road in Kitty Hawk, which is off of Kitty Hawk Road. You may take Woods Road, which is the extension of South Dogwood Trail, south to Kitty Hawk Road, turn right, and then make a left on to Bob Perry Road.
The center is staffed by an attendant and is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and 8 a.m. to noon on Saturday. It is closed on Wednesday.
If you have any questions, you may call the Kitty Hawk Public Works Dept. at (252) 261-1367.
We have dropped many items off at the Kitty Hawk Recycling Center and have found it to be a well-run operation that is very convenient for Southern Shores residents.
The county landfill is located at 1603 Cub Road in Manns Harbor and is not very convenient. The phone number is (252) 473-2059.
For more information about the landfill, see: https://www.darenc.com/departments/public-works/c-d-landfill-rubble-transfer-station.
Ann G. Sjoerdsma, 3/25/21